By Cyndy Batchelor, BCom
Financial Advisor, O’Farrell Wealth & Estate Planning | Assante Capital Management Ltd.
As the holiday season nears, we all search for ways to create special memories for our families, children, and grandchildren while still staying within our budget. It is important to remember that you do not have to “break the bank” to have a good holiday.
There are many Holiday activities you can take part in that that cost very little:
- Check out the local Christmas Parade and enjoy the wonder of the season.
- Take a Holiday Lights Tour – you can attend an official one at a cost per car or set your own route. Finish the night off with a cup of homemade hot chocolate and cookies.
- At home movie nights – it is always fun to break out the pjs and popcorn and get cozy on a cold winter night with some Holiday Classics.
- A Visit to Santa – many local markets feature a Santa your family can see without the need to brave the busy mall
- Family Baking – enjoy a day baking Christmas Treats. This is not only budget friendly, but it is also a fun activity where life skills can be incorporated.
There are many budget-friendly gift ideas that can bring joy to those you love:
- Homemade presents – if you are artistic or fantastic in the kitchen, consider making something for the people on your list
- RESPs – if you have grandkids/nieces or nephews and they have or get everything they need, consider contributing to their Registered Education Savings Plan
Be sure to remember these budget tips when planning your holiday shopping:
- Prioritize the wish list – it isn’t necessary to buy everything on someone’s wish list – make sure to manage their expectations.
- Start your holiday shopping early. You can budget a small amount every month so that you are not looking at a big bill in December or January
- Shop for sales – Black Friday and Cyber Monday can be a budget shoppers dream.
- Pay in cash – this will help to not rack up the credit cards and, in turn, credit card interest
Remember, Holiday Memories are made up of the fun things we do and the people we spend our time with. This is what makes the season so special. I wish you all a very Happy Holiday.
We welcome questions so please reach out! See our ad in this week’s North Dundas Times and follow us on Facebook @OFarrellWealth.
Cyndy Batchelor is a Financial Advisor with Assante Capital Management Ltd. The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Assante Capital Management Ltd. Please contact her at 613.258.1997 or visit ofarrellwealth.com to discuss your circumstances prior to acting on the information above. Assante Capital Management Ltd. is a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada.